Bots have been in existence for many decades and come in all shapes and sizes. Whilst good bots can perform helpful functions, bad bots can interact with applications in the same way a legitimate user would, enabling high-speed abuse, misuse, and attacks on websites and APIs. They enable attackers, unsavoury competitors, and fraudsters to perform an array of malicious activities. Such activities include web scraping, competitive data mining, personal and financial data harvesting, account takeover, digital ad fraud, spam, and transaction fraud.The difficulty with bad bot behaviour is in identifying its origin. Furthermore, bringing legal recourse against bot operators is both costly and time-consuming.
Bad bot behaviour in ticketing presents a number of problems, resulting in a poor fan experience, increased fan complaints, decreased conversion rates, increased charge-backs, increased fraud rates, damage to brand and a financial impact.
Bad Bot Issues in Ticketing
- Account Takeover – Stolen credentials are run against websites in an attempt to gain access, resulting in financial fraud and an increase in charge backs
- Account Creation – Free accounts created to gain access to offers and ticket sales which will then be sold by touts
- Credit Card Fraud – Criminals testing credit card details they have purchased or stolen to buy tickets for re-sale
- Denial of Service – Slows down the website performance impacting the amount tickets that can be sold
- Denial of Inventory – Bots hold items in baskets preventing their sale to real customers
What's Ticketmaster doing about it?
We've partnered with leading bot defence platform Distil Netwoks to protect Ticketmaster Sport's clients from the effect of malicious bot attacks. The Forrester New Wave™: Bot Management Q3 2018 research ranked Distil number one when it reviewed the 12 leading providers of bot management.
How it works:
Our partnership with Distil Networks provides clients with a number of very important benefits including;
- An increase in ticket sales, as only genuine fans will have access to the site without competing with bots
- Improved onsale performance, as the site performance will not be impacted by thousands of bots attempting to hit the site and the queue to gain access will be made up of genuine fans
- Enhanced fan experience, related to the site performance improvements, the process of purchasing via on-sales will be greatly improved for the fan
- Reduction in financial fraud, by letting less fraudsters create accounts
- Reduction in the number of complaints from fans, due to the improved overall performance of the site during on-sales and general use
We are pleased to announce that Bolton Wanderers FC, in conjunction with Ticketmaster, has introduced digital ticketing at the University of Bolton Stadium.
Ticketmaster is incredibly excited to announce a ticketing partnership with League of Legends European Championship - LEC 2019.
Ticketmaster is pleased to announce a partnership with basketball club Aris BC from the current season onwards.
Ticketmaster is pleased to announce that it has been selected as official ticketing partner for the Mediterranean Beach Games in Patras, Greece.
Ticketmaster is pleased to announce a ticketing partnership with the Belgian Women's National Football team, the Belgian Red Flames from this current season.
We're pleased to announce that Thessaloniki-based professional basketball team, Iraklis BC, have chosen Ticketmaster as official ticketing partner.